Applying for a Place
Choosing the right Primary School for your child is one of the most important decisions that you as a parent will ever make. Because not every school is right for every child, it is very important to come & have a look around in order to really get a feel for if s/he will fit.
At St Mary's, we don’t have open days, but prefer to give the personal touch & would love to show you around our lovely school!
Please give us a call so that we can make you & your child welcome!
Why should you choose us for your child?
Just ten reasons (there are so many more) as to why you should make St Mary's your first choice of school…
Do you want a school where:
- Children are happy, loved & well cared for?
- Pupils are supported as part of our St Mary's family to achieve their personal, unique & amazing potential?
- Children are known by name to everyone else due to there being just one class in each year group & no mixed age classes?
- There is a tangible feeling of excitement, confidence & a love of learning across school?
- The environment is safe and welcoming?
- Pupils attainment is better than national average (Year 6 SATs results 2019)?
- Children succeed in all areas & have wider enrichment opportunities through: performance, sport, visits, visitors, residentials, global & charitable events, focus days & weeks?
- Pupils are extremely well prepared for the next stage of their education & develop as excellent citizens of the world through a fantastic programme of Spiritual, Moral, Social & Cultural Development?
- Every aspect of school (five out of five) was judged as good by OFSTED?
- We nurture children from aged 3 to 11?
If so... call us to visit today!
The Sheffield City Council website has a dedicated section giving information for parents on applying for place at a primary school – please click to open.
To apply for a place at St Mary's CE Academy, Walkley you will need to fill in the same form as you would if applying for a place at any community school.
At St Mary's, we participate in the Local Authority’s Co-ordinated Admission Scheme for in-year admissions. If a parent of a child on our roll wishes to apply for a transfer to another school, then they must obtain a transfer form from the school for completion of Section 2. The application must then be sent to the Local Authority which will process the application on the parent’s behalf. The Local Authority will confirm the outcome of the application in writing within 15 school days. If the application is refused, the Local Authority will advise on the statutory appeal procedure. Details of the Co-ordinated Admission Scheme and how in-year applications are managed can be seen at https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/home/schools-childcare/apply-school-place.html
Families New to the City
For families that are new to the City, they should contact the Children Missing Education Team at email@example.com or 0114 273 6462 to arrange an appointment to make an admission application.
If you are applying on the basis of church attendance, you should also ask your Minister to complete a Supplementary Information Form. Application forms and online applications can also be found on the Primary admissions pages of the Sheffield City Council website. Whilst this form would give your child a greater chance of getting a place, please don’t worry if you can’t fill out this form. Not being a church goer will not prevent your children from having a place at our school!
Please click to download the school’s Admission Policy (which includes the ranking criteria).
Some myths about admissions:
Do I have to be a Christian or attend church to apply for a place?
Reality: You don’t have to be a Christian or attend church to apply for a place. We welcome all children (of any & no faith) and less than half of the children at our school come from Christian families.
I do go to church but it’s not the parish church (St Mary's or The Vine). Does that matter?
Reality: If you are applying on the basis of church attendance, any church which participates in “Churches Together in England” is recognised.
I don’t live in Walkley.
Reality: As a Church of England school, we can actually take children out of our catchment area of Walkley unlike a community school which can only take children from inside the catchment area.
Will I definitely get a place? Aren’t you always oversubscribed?
Reality: School admission applications vary from year to year. The best thing to do is be absolutely honest & put down your top three schools in the order that you & your child would prefer! If you don’t get your first choice, you will probably get your second.