In English & supported throughout all subjects, we aim to empower & enrich our children’s vocabulary & so prepare them for the next stage in their educational journey (& beyond) so that no child is hindered or held back by a deficit of language as a result of deprivation. We want them to be able to articulate themselves & their learning through a wide bank of subject specific terminology as well as being creative & innovative in their speech & writing. We aim to inspire our children to become fluent, confident life-long readers who can discuss the joy of literature as well as develop their own style & expression through wide opportunities for writing.
Music at St Mary's
When children leave St Mary’s, we hope that, through music, they will have developed a sense of curiosity and creativity through which they can explore and learn. We want our music lessons to inspire children and give them a creative outlet. Music is a universal language that embodies one of the highest forms of creativity. A high- quality music education should engage and inspire pupils to develop a love of music and their talent as musicians, and so increase their self-confidence, creativity and sense of achievement. As pupils progress, they should develop a critical engagement with music, allowing them to compose, and to listen with discrimination to the best in the musical canon.
Music and Performance Opportunities
Throughout the year we have many opportunities for our pupils to develop their understanding of music and to perform in front of a wide range of audiences.
These opportunities include:
* Weekly music lesson (delivered using Charanga scheme of Learning)
* Key Stage 2 choir meets weekly to rehearse
* Key Stage 2 choir performs in several local supermarkets and care homes each year
* Young Voices choir meets weekly to rehearse
* Young Voices choir performs at the Sheffield Arena
* Foundation Stage, Year 1 and Year 2 perform a Christmas Nativity to an audience each year
* Key Stage 2 classes perform Christmas Carols to their parents each year
* Year 3 pupils perform the Passion Performance in St Mary's Church each Easter
* Year 6 perform a summer performance each year
* The Sheffield Music Hub delivers music sessions weekly to Year 5 pupils
* All children participate in a singing collective worship each week
To find out about about intent, implementation and impact for music, please click here.
Please view our Music Policy Here.
Progression of Skills
Each year at St Mary's, all pupils receive a 'Learning Passport'. This passport contains all of
the skills and knowledge that they will learn that year. It also has all of the skills and
knowledge they have covered in the past. Teachers refer to this passport regularly and pupils
view it frequently to ensure 'sticky knowledge' is developed- this means that pupils are quickly
recalling what they have already learnt so skills and knowledge can be built on each year.